Again and again the question arises as to what is allowed if you want to take your 4-legged friend with you into the cabin space and in most cases the specifications are different and often give reason for doubt.
We did some research for you and took a close look at various airlines. They are all very similar in a few ways:
- Basically, one can say that each airline has its own regulations.
You definitely need a transport container that complies with the regulations of the airlines on your journey. Please also note that the total weight of dog and bag is not exceeded.
The dog bag in the prescribed shape and size should be able to be closed completely (escape-proof) and of course air-permeable.
In almost all cases, the bag with your dog in it has to stay in the footwell in front of you.
Please also note the regulations for entry (age/ID/vaccination etc) of the respective airlines
Take the time and research extensively and prepare your dog well. For some dogs, traveling is generally stressful and then traveling by plane is particularly challenging.
- Acclimate your dog to your chosen mode of transport.
- Check if he has all the necessary vaccinations.
- Make sure your dog is tired and reasonably well-balanced, because then he might even sleep through the flight. Sedatives may be necessary, but sometimes a great trip beforehand will suffice.
- Keep calm yourself too! Your dog senses when you are nervous and excited.
- Please also check the entry requirements for your respective destination. Airline regulations are one thing, but regulations in specific countries are another.
(as of July 2022)
We do not assume any liability for the information given below, since the conditions of the individual airlines can change at any time.
- The animal will be in a suitable soft-shell container to be provided by you throughout the flight, from which it cannot escape and from which no liquid can spill (lined with absorbent material - no newspaper, cardboard or litter) two animals (dog or cat) in the cabin (in an approved transport container) per passenger.
- The soft shell case has a maximum size of 118 cm (55 x 40 x 23 cm)
47 inches (22 x 16 x 9 inches)
- The animal must be able to stand, lie down and turn in its natural position in the closed soft-shell container.
- The animal weighs no more than 8 kg including the soft-shell container
- The animal will be stowed on board in the soft-sided container under your front seat or attached to your seat belt with a leash while it remains in the container. Under no circumstances will the animal be seated in a passenger seat.
Carriage can take place in the cabin and/or in the luggage compartment:
- Maximum of two animals (dog or cat) for one passenger
- Dogs and cats up to 8 kg (weight including transport bag)
- You transport your animal in a soft transport bag that is clean, escape-proof and scratch-resistant.
- The maximum size of the bag is 118 cm (55 x 40 x 23 cm)
- The animal has enough space and stays completely in the transport bag throughout the flight. No free roaming in the cabin is allowed.
- Your pet is clean, healthy and will not bother any passengers. It is neither dangerous nor pregnant nor does it smell.
- The transport container must be large enough for the animal to stand normally, turn around and lie down.
- The transport container must be stowed under your seat during takeoff, landing and during turbulence. Due to the design of the seats in the Airbus 330/340 and Boeing 777, this is not possible in SWISS Business (the exception is the last row) and SWISS First.
Our crew will stow the transport case in the cloakroom, in one of the overhead bins, or under another seat during takeoff and landing.
The transport container for small animals in the cabin must:
- be soft, bite-proof and leak-proof.
- Be odor isolating.
- have sufficient air supply even when closed.
- be large enough for the pet to fit in in a natural pose.
- The total weight of the animal and the transport container must not exceed 8 kg,
- The maximum size of the transport container is 118 cm overall (55 x 40 x 23 cm) so that it can easily be stowed under your front seat.
Carry in the passenger cabin
- If you are traveling in Economy Class, you can take 1 cat or 1 dog in the passenger cabin; this also applies to business class travel within Europe.
- Your pet must be placed in a closed carrier bag or carrier no larger than 46 x 28 x 24 cm as it must fit under your front seat.
- The pet and the transport bag or transport container together may weigh a maximum of 8 kg.
- Your pet may not be removed from the carrier during the flight.
- So please make sure your pet is small enough to move around comfortably in the carrier.
- No pets are allowed in the passenger cabin on intercontinental flights in Premium Comfort Class or Business Class. In these travel classes it is not possible to stow a transport container under the front seat.
- All pets must be carried in the hold.
"But don't worry, your four-legged friends will travel just as comfortably as you." That's how it writes British Airways
What are the requirements for my animal to be transported?
- Eurowings only transports small dogs and cats and these only in the cabin.
- The animal must be housed in a waterproof, bite-proof, sealed but air-permeable bag (not a hard-shell container).
- The bag must not exceed the maximum dimensions of 55 x 40 x 23 cm.
- The animal including the bag may weigh a maximum of 8 kg.
- The animal must be able to stand upright in the bag
- The animal must be able to turn and lie down in a natural position.
- Only one animal is allowed per bag and person.
- You cannot reserve exit exit seats when carrying an animal on board.
- We only offer this service on short and medium-haul flights. Animals are not transported on long-haul flights
- We are obliged to refuse animal carriage if the bag does not meet the requirements.
The "Lunch&Dinner Air" (in 2 sizes) is the perfect travel companion!